Wedding Countdown Ticker

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Keeping the House

Since 2008, I've been in a situation of unemployment for the beginning of the year (always looking for work, mind you) so over that time I end up taking over the majority of the household chores like laundry and doing the dishes. I always do some normal household things too, like go through all my clothes or clean out and organize the linen closet. But I also do weird things like become obsessive about how the remotes are stored on the coffee table or find something stuck next to the fridge so end up pulling the fridge from the wall, vacuuming behind it and then rearranging all of the magnets and other things on it (which I may or may not have done tonight).

The rest of today was pretty standard, tho.

I spent today doing the laundry in a completely empty laundry room (which was amazing) while watching TV with Jordan (she's from Millionaire for people who don't know her) and seeing huge chunks of snow fall from the sky. It was a very nice, relaxing day but definitely puts my unemployment in the spotlight.

I'm glad to be able to do all these things and definitely glad to have something to focus all my organizational energy on while without a job. Even not thinking about the wedding planning (which would definitely be harder to do if we were both working), it's been useful for me to be home because Jimmy just had surgery on his shoulder (don't worry, he is fine) and is in a sling for a month.

Here he is enjoying his hospital attire pre-surgery:
So I'm doing the dishes and laundry all by myself and keeping the apartment clean while home alone all day, no biggie. What pushed me over-the-top into serious "wifery" is my newest obsession with sewing. Right now, only aprons, but I hope to have other projects soon.

I've had a sewing machine for over a year (thanks Grammy & Grampy!) and hadn't gotten up the courage to actually try something until recently. I've since sewn 3 aprons (only 1 to keep) and just cannot get enough of it. Now, I usually spend my days knitting or cross-stitching, so sewing is probably a natural third activity to take on, but it's still fun and new to me.

It makes sense to me. I'm always doing craft projects and I'm always doing household chores so why not do a craft project I can use while doing household chores? I even wore my apron (which is black gingham and red trim) while cooking banana pancakes on Valentine's Day. Perfect.

We're coming up on 7 months away and it already seems like everything is going by so quickly! But it's definitely coming together and we're getting really excited. So all is good.

Just gotta get Jimmy out of his sling so he can help carry groceries again.

2 comments:

  1. I gotta find out from your wedding blog that you had surgery?! what's the proper procedure here? Do i, like, send flowers or something? A card? stip-o-gram?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm now so glad I posted that. When I was putting in that picture Jimmy was like, "why do people need that?" ...This is why.

    ReplyDelete