Wedding Countdown Ticker

Sunday, August 1, 2010

We Coulda Been Super Nerds.

Back on March 19, 1995, I was in 5th grade. In school I was reading "Ferret in the Bedroom, Lizards in the Fridge" or "Hatchet," writing stories that used lines like "Thruway? The only WAY THRU here I know is..." and getting used to the first 3 months of braces. I imagine Jimmy was doing similar things except he didn't have braces yet.

The thing I know we had in common back in 1995 (and still do in 2010, of course) is our love for The Simpsons. So I can say with almost 100% certainty that we both saw "Lisa's Wedding" on March 19th as it first aired (tho I was in Eastern time and Jimmy was in "Mountain time" - whatever that means - so I know I beat him to watching it).

We've already referenced the episode, Lisa's Wedding, in this post: http://erinandjimmygethitched.blogspot.com/2010/01/and-it-goes-on-like-this.html and the last time we watched it this year we realized it was supposed to take place in 2010. Craziness.

Thanks to a friend on Twitter, I realized that Lisa's actual wedding is supposed to take place, today, August 1, 2010.

I can guarantee that I was NOT thinking about my own wedding back in 1995. And also, that I did NOT think I'd be getting married in 2010, since I remember watching this episode and thinking that it took place in a time too far in the future to matter to me. Lisa was supposed to be 23 in 2010 and I am 25 (so I guess I am Bart's age, afterall) so it's not completely the same but still.

So, today, raise a glass to Lisa & Hugh and the wedding that never happened by throwing on some pig bride and groom cufflinks and chillin' with your pet esquilax.

3 comments:

  1. Oh no, it's galloping away. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. And FYI I was most likely reading either A Wrinkle in Time or The Black Cauldron at school (my teacher apparently was a huge nerd), and going home to watch some combination of Pearl Jam, TLC, and Coolio videos repeatedly on MTV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. I started reading A Wrinkle in Time numerous times as a child and never finished it. Lame.

    ReplyDelete